Q. What is microfiche?


You may encounter location information like this when browsing your online library catalog:


What is it?

Microfilm (reels of film, usually 35 mm) and microfiche (flat sheets of film, 105 mm x 148 mm) are two material formats used by many libraries as a budget- and space-friendly alternative to acquiring materials in their native formats e.g., newspapers, journals.

The majority of McDermott Library's microforms are government documents and ERIC (documents from the Educational Resource Information Center).

Where is it?

Microforms are located in large cabinets on the east side of the 2nd floor.

Alternatively, consider searching ERIC's online database for full text if your relevant catalog search results are not in your preferred format.

UT Dallas Faculty, Graduate Students, and Distance Learners may request electronic delivery of scanned microforms. See Interlibrary Loan's E-Delivery page for more information.

For assistance:

Please visit the Services Desk to find help locating microforms or learning to enlarge, scan, or print them using the Scanpro 3000 devices in our Copy Center.


  • Last Updated Aug 14, 2018
  • Views 1
  • Answered By Matt Young

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0

Contact Us