Q. How do I download chapters or complete ebooks from ProQuest Ebook Central?
ProQuest Ebook Central supports downloads of complete ebooks or individual chapters. The process can vary depending on your choice, and your device.
To download a chapter:
Scroll down the page to view the contents of the book. Some books are organized into Sections, so it may be necessary to click "Show Subsections" to view book chapters.
When you have located the desired chapter:
- Click the "Download PDF" button next to the chapter title.
- Click the "Download" button on the pop up box, then choose "Save File."
- The downloaded file may now be viewed with any PDF viewer (e.g. Adobe Reader), and kept as long as you like.
Note: The default save location on most computers is the Downloads folder.
To download a book:
- Click the "Download Book" button in the upper-left portion of your screen, just below the cover image of the book.
- In the pop up box, select your device type and leave "I am using my own computer" selected. Click Continue.
- If the book is DRM-free, you will simply choose to download either a PDF (reading in Adobe) or an EPUB file (for Kindle and other e-readers) and view / save as you would with any other file. The download will not expire.
- If the book is not DRM-free, you must have Adobe Digital Editions on your device in order to download and view content. Click "done with this step" if you already have this software on your device. Otherwise, click the orange "Get Adobe Digital Editions" button to open the Adobe download page in a new tab and follow the prompts to install. Mobile users can find an Adobe Digital Editions App in the Google Play store (Android) or the App Store (iOS).
- Return to the ebook page in ProQuest and click "done with this step."
- Choose how long you would like to keep the downloaded book on your device and then click Download.
- Select "Save File" to download this book to your computer. You will find this .acsm file in your Downloads folder, if you would like to move it to another location.
- You may double-click the file or launch Adobe Digital Editions then open the file from there. You will need to authorize with an Adobe ID if you would like to access the ebook on multiple devices. Click "Create Adobe ID" within the authorization prompt if needed.
Here is the link to the download page for Adobe Digital Editions.