Q. How can I find out what other libraries own a book that I am searching for?
First, please notify McDermott Library if there is a book that you think belongs in our collection. You can use the Suggest a Title for Purchase web form or speak with a Librarian at the Service Desk.
Follow these steps to check the catalogs of other libraries, or ask for help and we will happily assist you:
1) Go to the Library homepage and click the Databases tab.
2) Click the letter "W" then scroll down to find the link to "WorldCat (books worldwide)."
3) Enter the title, author, or other search terms.
4) Choose among useful filters like date range or your preferred format among the "Limit type to:" options, then click Search.
5) The results page will show a unique record for each version of the book, from editions to changes in publisher, etc.
Click "Libraries Worldwide" to see a list of the libraries that own the title. Local libraries are typically listed near the top.
Note: If UT Dallas owns the title, you will see a message in green text.
Be sure to visit these related links for information about obtaining titles that are currently unavailable at UT Dallas Libraries: